Currently available: Deputy Sheriff
Check Arlington County Government Jobs for new and additional job listings.
Current testing dates can be found at Deputy Testing.
Earn a starting salary of $53, 497 while working only 15 days a month! Work mostly 12-hour fixed shifts with evening shifts earning an extra $1.00 per hour.
Minimum Qualifications for Deputy Sheriff:
- Education: high school graduate or GED equivalent
- Age limit: must be 21 years of age at the time of appointment or within three months of the 21st birthday on the closing date for receipt of applications
- Physical condition: must be in an excellent physical condition
- Citizenship: Must be U.S. citizen at the time of application
- Must be bondable for handling Commonwealth funds
- Valid driver’s license: must possess a valid driver’s license from a place of residence
- Special requirements: position requires being available for emergency calls, standby duty, 12-hour shifts, overtime and details outside the facility. Also includes work on days, evenings, nights, weekends, holidays and rotating shifts
- Training: must successfully complete Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Academy within the first 12 months of employment — successful completion includes passing all phases of academic, physical, driver and firearms training. In-service maintenance training and semi-annual firearms qualifications are ongoing.
- All new uniformed (sworn) Sheriff’s Office employees must be non-smokers and are required to sign an agreement to not smoke on or off the job during tenure.
One or more of the following exams:
- Medical (will include chest x-ray and drug/alcohol test)
- Character/Background Investigation to include a criminal history inquiry. Note: Candidates who have engaged in any activity that would support a felony conviction are unlikely to receive favorable consideration. Misdemeanor convictions for crimes relating to theft, domestic violence or assault are likely to disqualify (incomplete and/or inaccurate information on personal history may be cause for rejection).